Look what we found: a Kickstarter for a comics anthology featuring trans stories by trans creators!
We suggest clicking over to their campaign for info and sample art, but here's the summary for those of you who may be too lazy to follow the link ;) :
"It's 2017--well after the "trans tipping point," or whatever--and yet to our knowledge, there hasn't been an anthology of comics written, drawn, and edited entirely by transgender creators.
We want to change that—and that’s why we’re asking for your help.
WE’RE STILL HERE, edited by Tara Avery and Jeanne Thornton, contains fifty-five stories by fifty-five different creators (or creative teams), all of us trans, and all of us telling stories that range from fiction to nonfiction, escapist fantasy to slice-of-life memoir and back again. Here you'll find all the hit trans content you crave: the weird stuff, the stuff that goes to uncomfortable places, the stuff that highlights little-known kinks and contradictions in the trans experience, and most importantly, the stories about trans people having a good, maybe sad time.
Big talk! But what does it mean in practice? Here's a sampling of the stories in We're Still Here:
- An evening discussing the terrors of Donald Trump at a Japanese bar for trans men
- A trans woman uses MDMA (with complex results)
- A trans woman visits her grandmother for Christmas (with complex results)
- Visual essay on sex work, trans masculinity, and testosterone
- A practical guide to using paganism to navigate workplace terror
- Trans women pilot giant robots with impeccable synch ratios
- Toxic masculinity haunts a friendship between a butch lesbian and trans man
- A devotional essay about angels beyond gender or understanding
- Two trans women named Sweetness and Lightning blow up a car, watch Akira, and live happily ever after
If none of these appeal to you, that's okay: we’ve assembled roughly 300 pages of stories from creators both emerging and established, all of them driven by effective narrative, gorgeous art, and sardonic whimsy. We intend this to be the gateway drug to trans comics: a gathering of creators that represents many of the divergent roads that trans comics in the twenty-first century might take."
We've already backed it, and we think you should, too! There's even a $5 tier if you want to help out but don't care if you get the book or not.